Chatakpur is an eco-friendly village, located in the Northern art of West Bengal. This small village, located in the midst of nature has been developed by the Forest Department and has been turned into a spot for eco-tourism. Located at an altitude of 8000 feet, this picturesque and pristine hamlet is embraced by Kanchenjhunga Mountain Range in the north and Rerry Khola river gorge in the south. The picture-perfect location of this place is another reason why tourists from round the world crowd this place. Its proximity to nature will provide you a solace which cannot be defined by words of mortal men and women.
By Road: Direct cabs and jeeps are available from Darjeeling and New Jalpaiguri. From Darjeeling it takes less time and distance; around 26 kilometres. While travelling in this region, always opt for SUV type of vehicles as they have good ground clearance.
By Rail: North-East bound trains from Kolkata provide a halt at the New Jalpaiguri station. Also, direct trains from Kolkata are available for New Jalpaiguri as well. From there, hire any jeep of SUV for Chatakpur.
By Air: Nearest airport is at Bagdogra. It is well connected with the major airports of India.
Search with keyword terms "chatakpur" etc.
Tourists can visit this place round the year, but it is advisable not to visit this place during the monsoon season (July to September), as during this time the forest cannot be explored properly and the eco-village remains closed.
Organic farming and plantation is quite famous here, Tourists can enjoy a wide variety of colourful dishes. Also North Indian, Tibetan dishes are very popular here.
- Enjoy the lush greenery of the forest which lies within the walking distance of this eco-village. Exploring the forest will be a great experience and a thing to remember.
- This place is home to large number of colourful birds, who belong to different species. They are- Bulbul, Blue Magpie, Verditer, Flycatcher, Pipit, Warbler, Prinia and others.
- The watch tower of Chatakpur, also known as Sunrise Point, provides an excellent and all-encompassing view of the Sandakphu. The tower is only a 10 minute walk from the cottage.
- A 10 minute walk down the village road will take you to a beautiful lake called- Pokhri, which is home to numerous kind of aquatic creatures. This place is worth visiting.
- Do watch the tribal and folk dance, which are exclusively organised for the tourists. The blending of music with the rhythm of the dance creates an indescribable effect.
- Engage with the local tribal folks and hear from their elders, the interesting stories about this place. Also, tourists get the chance to be a part of their life as well.
- Utilise the most of an eco-village. The village market offers you organic vegetables of excellent quality, and they can arrange for you to take them home.