The name of Sundarbans is essentially linked with the famous Royal Bengal Tiger. It is also linked with Deltaic region of Bengal. However, Sundarbans is more than that. Sundarban; the name itself derives from the Sundari trees, that dominate this region, In fact, this kind of trees are only found in this part of the world. It is the single largest block of tidal Halophytic mangrove forest in the world. Covering an area of more than 10000 square kilometres, most of which lies in Bangladesh, this entire region has been declared as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
By Road: From Kolkata, buses and hired vehicles are available till Dhamakhali, Basanti and Canning. Canning is the nearest gateway, from where, you need to hail a boat ride.
By Rail: Canning is the nearest railway station, which connects with Sealdah. South-bound trains are available from Sealdah.
By Air: Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport is the nearest airport, located in Kolkata. It is 95 kilometres away from here.
Search with keyword terms "sundarban" etc.
September to March is the best time to visit this place, avoid visiting during the monsoon, due to inclement weather.
Some hotels and resorts here offer you the opportunity to procure lobster, fish, crab and prawn from the local market and get it cooked.
- Sundarban National Park- It is the first place that every tourist visit in order to see the Royal Bengal tigers up close and personal. It also doubles itself as a Biosphere Reserve as well.
- Mangrove Forests are the unique attraction of this region. The Sundari trees, which form the bulk of the mangrove population, have their roots above the water surface.
- There are some fresh water swamp forest which are ideal for fishing. For bird watchers, therr are some uninhabited islands, where migratory birds do crowd this region.
- The rich wildlife habitat of this region houses Spotted Deer, Rhesus Macaque, Jungle Cats, Wild Boars among others. The islands also have a sizable crab population.
- Salt Water Crocodiles : They are the second most fiery predator in this region. The crocodiles are found is number of islands. There are some Crocodile Conservation Centre as weel, where tyou can see them and feed them.
- Hire a boat, and spend your day, sailing the waters of the Delta. Avoid heading out to the oceans though.
- For those who are interested in wildlife photography, this place is a heaven for them. There are way too many species for you to take photograph of.